The prizes are given annually by the Foundation for accomplishments in fundamental physics broadly defined, including advances in closely related fields with deep connections to physics.
- Fundamental Physics Prize — US$3,000,000;
- Physics Frontiers Prize – US$300,000;
- New Horizons in Physics Prize — US$100,000;
- Laureates of the Physics Frontiers Prize will become nominees for the Fundamental Physics Prize.
- Should recognize major achievements, with special attention to recent developments;
- No age restrictions;
- Can be shared by any number of people;
- Can be received more than once.
- Anyone can nominate a candidate online;
- All submissions must be completed by a third party.
Past recipients of the Fundamental Physics Prize are invited to serve on the Selection Committee to select recipients of future prizes.
In exceptional cases a special Fundamental Physics Prize can be awarded at any time, forgoing the nomination process.